Find us on Google+

List of Anti-Angiogenic Foods

by christianna on May 25, 2010

As you may recall from my last post, a certain group of foods can help in the fight against cancer. These foods contain angiogenesis inhibitors that stop the spread of cancer by preventing tumors from creating new blood vessels. Without new blood vessels, the tumors cannot survive.

I looked at several sources and created this chart to help you choose the foods known for their anti-angiogenic and anti-cancer properties. Happily, dark chocolate is one of the cancer-fighting foods. Something to keep in mind is that mixing dairy products with chocolate cancels the beneficial effects of the cocoa. So, remember to avoid milk chocolate.

Anti-angiogenic Foods

Sources:

Dulak, J. “Nutraceuticals as Anti-Angiogenetic Agents:  Hopes and Reality,” J. of Physiology and Pharmacology 2005, 56, Suppl 1, 51-69.

Li, William. “Dietary Sources of Naturally-Occurring Antiangiogenic Substances,” Angiogenesis Foundation (http://www.angio.org)

Servan-Schreiber, David. Anti-Cancer:  A New Way of Life, Viking, 2008.

Your turn: How many of these anti-angiogenic foods do you typically eat?  Are you trying to eat more of them on a daily basis?

Print Friendly
Be Sociable, Share!

{ 36 comments… read them below or add one }

Meg May 25, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Wow, I actually like a lot of what's on the list–especially the fruit, dark chocolate, and red wine =;D Olive oil is in almost daily use in my house. Somehow I thought cinnamon would make that list along with the nutmeg. Would have been nice to add anti-angiogenic to the list of the virtues of my cinnamon buns…

Ang. May 25, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Thanks for this chart – I'm doing better than I thought. Not a day goes by that I don't eat at least several of those things. Our blackberry bushes are producing heavily right now, so blackberries every day! I don't like apples or raspberries, but I eat more than enough Brussels sprouts and cauliflower to make up for it. I'm going to save a copy of this table for future reference!

willow May 25, 2010 at 3:36 pm

In the past week, I've eaten fifteen of the foods on the list, some, like blueberries, daily. I'm doing the happy dance that red wine and dark chocolate made the list!

Christianna May 25, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Hi Meg,

While cinnamon may not be considered anti-angiogenic, per se, it does have many other health benefits. It is well-known for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It has been shown to be effective in lowering blood sugar, cholesterol and triglyceride levels. And it tastes so good! Cinnamon can be part of a very healthy diet.

Say, do you ship your virtuous vegan cinnamon buns?

Christianna May 25, 2010 at 4:09 pm

Hi Ang —

Ahh, you have fresh blackberries growing in your yard. You must live in a warmer climate than Oregon, where we don't see blackberries until late summer. Enjoy your delicious fruit!

Christianna May 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Hi Willow,

I'm so glad you're doing the happy dance! Yes, hooray for red wine and dark chocolate making the list :) And good for you to be eating blueberries daily. They are a nutritional powerhouse.

John May 30, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Check out the following on cinnamon…

“New research now shows that cinnamon extract also inhibits vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF), a potent angiogenesis-stimulating protein. “

John May 30, 2010 at 4:00 pm

However, I also came across the following in an alternative health newsletter that I receive:

“Just recently, Korean researchers discovered that cinnamon, which has been used in Chinese medicine to improve circulation, can help induce angiogenesis, or the formation of new blood vessels. (Int
Immunopharmacol 09;9:959–967).”

I can think of several ways that these seemingly contradictory studies can both make sense, but it would be nice if I could find an article that provides some clarity so that I'm not stuck relying on my own theories. I suppose it will take more studies before that is possible.

Christianna May 31, 2010 at 10:55 pm

John, thank you so much for the link to this article. Scientific research advances at such a rapid pace, it's hard to keep up with it all! Thanks for being on the lookout for such cutting-edge, useful information and for taking the time to share :)

Christianna May 31, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Just when we think we have it figured out, along comes a study indicating the opposite…

Ah, well, that's what keeps life interesting!

John June 1, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Just to clarify for your readers, I didn't realize my posts were going to be reversed, so the comment that starts with “Check out the following on cinnamon…” should be my first comment.

One thing you should know is that both studies are considered positive. Sometimes you want angiogenesis, sometimes you don't. So there's no reason to stop eating cinnamon.

I sent a letter off to the editor of that newsletter I mentioned to see if he has any ideas why the studies seem to offer opposing results. I'll post his opinion on here if he replies.

I have a couple of theories. First of all, the “anti” study says that cinnamon extract inhibits an angiogenesis-stimulating protein, but just because it inhibits one protein doesn't mean it can't induce angiogenesis in other ways. Also, they used cinnamon extract in that study and not the typical concentration used in cooking. It's not unusual for the body to react in opposite ways to low and high doses of the same substance.

But I probably shouldn't spend too much time developing theories about cinnamon. Kinda goes against the whole “elegant simple life” idea. :-)

steven sashen June 2, 2010 at 9:55 pm

Since Dr. Li spoke of these foods having anti-angiogenic effects in amounts that one could get from their diet, I'm curious about the specifics.

That is, how much of each/any/all of these would be recommended over, say, the course of a week (since there's no way I'd eat all of them every day).

Christianna June 2, 2010 at 11:15 pm

John, I love that you are following this cinnamon trail. Please continue to share your findings as you are inclined.

Indeed, a great part of living an elegant, simple life is following one's passion.

Do keep us posted!

Christianna June 3, 2010 at 12:06 am

Steven, I don't think the specific guidelines for dietary intakes to achieve maximum anti-angiogenic effects of foods have been established.

However, I think the best course is to eat a wide variety of these foods over a period of time (over a lifetime, actually). In other words, start introducing/increasing these foods into your diet and then rotate them in your daily/weekly dietary routine. I believe the benefits occur over time and the longer you choose to eat this way, the better.

On a related note, previous dietary guidelines recommended a range of 5 to 9 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. New Dietary Guidelines for Americans (published jointly by the Department of Health and Human Services and USDA) were released in January 2005. These Guidelines recommend the equivalent of 4 to 13 servings a day, which amounts to 2 to 6 1/2 cups of fruits and vegetables a day.

Many people wonder what a serving looks like. Here is a nice site demonstrating 1/2 cup or 1 cup servings of common fruits and vegetables : http://www.fruitsandveggiesmatter.gov/what/exam

That was a great question, Steven, and I hope this helps :)

Annie July 8, 2010 at 10:04 am

only if they're organic…that goes for alot of fruits and veggies.

Mendobruce July 9, 2010 at 1:04 am

Can someone list the actual amount of anti-angiogenesis substance in each food? which foods have the greatest effects? How much of each is required to have an observable effect?

Boyd Reid July 12, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Could you please tell me whether any of the following have any anti-angiogenic value: paw-paw (a.v. papaya), mango, banana, avocado?

Anilkumarkasavar July 13, 2010 at 5:59 am

This is a good information we have to tell others who are not familiar to internet. Prevention is better than cure

Collinshouse5 September 10, 2010 at 8:18 pm

What I find amazing is God’s provision for all people. No matter where you live, something very good for you grows even if it’s just plain old beans.

Djtsktsk September 10, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I just saw on Dr.Oz he mentioned this topic and it is nice to know that these food helps!!

M60m December 13, 2010 at 5:49 am

why are carrots missing?

melissa January 20, 2011 at 6:42 pm

I eat 18 of these on a weekly basis. Look into the raw food diet and green juice trends if you are looking for a diet that will really jumpstart healing and increased vitality.

Goodwitch65 February 19, 2011 at 11:49 pm

This is wonderful….but there’s no mention of whether foods should be eaten cooked or raw.

Joshie_boi2 March 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

does anyone truly sell “organic” fruit and vegies anymore. example: all apple trees are clones of a specific breed. over time they have been selectively bred to grow larger apples. these larger apples have 1/3 of the nutrients of the original small apples they were bred from way back when. if this applies to other fruits and vegies also then whether the fruit is grown under “organic” conditions is the least of our concerns. in the end the only real difference will be the pesticides the food is sprayed with, besides that minor note it is still FAR better to eat any fruit and veg than none. you can always look into ways to remove that waxy pesticide coating after you buy the fruit anyway… if you can be bothered.
I guess i am speaking from an australian viewpoint here though. perhapse you americans are watering your plants with toxic waste, we generally don’t do that here though. we use water. :-)
we also don’t clear cut rainforest in developing countries to make our big macs/ whoppers.
i suppose thats what happens when you have an unrestricted free market and no proper public health care system. LOL.

Joshie_boi2 March 6, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Overhere June 23, 2011 at 12:55 am

Because they are not anti-angiogenic like the rest.

Beauley September 10, 2011 at 11:51 am

The Incredible Onion and Its Medicinal Benefits

Onions are used just about everywhere from hot dogs, hamburgers, tacos and untold salads yet some won’t come near them because of their pungent odor or how it leaves their breath once ingested.

barb November 6, 2011 at 3:25 pm

Do you know which main foods contain VEGF-A proteins.  I just read that it increases the leakage in Age Related Macular Degeneration.
Thanks, Barb

Reginald V. Finley Sr. June 4, 2012 at 12:36 am

Well actually Collin, many of the foods we eat today have been modified or adapted for human consumption. Also, in many parts of the world, access to such variety isn’t there. This is why import is so vital to many countries.  I do find it awesome however, that many of the foods that humans have an affinity for are hard-wired in us to devour. This makes sense in that certain foods that evolved alongside our mammalian ancestors may have provided particular benefits that allowed certain species to survive. I’d love to see a lot more in vivo studies on this. Oh, as an aside, I noticed that most of these foods are not very kind to people with acid reflux disease. ;-)

Timothy Ellington February 6, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Amen! I agree. Rev. 22:2

Bill from USSA Inc. October 14, 2013 at 5:23 pm

sadly, you are correct…pray for your friends and family from “Up Over”

bazeel October 26, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Pears and apples help fight cancer but Dr. Mercola warns about fructose. Is one pear or one apple a day enough for anti-angiogenisis but lower enough for fructose?

She's So Scandalous November 8, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Oh golly, gee…all the foods I love

(¯`v´¯)
`·.¸.·´
¸.·´¸.·¨) ¸.·¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´ (¸.·¨¯`♥

mobile games 240x320 March 24, 2014 at 6:51 am

I am not sure where you are getting your info,
but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning much more or understanding more.

Thanks for magnificent information I was looking for
this information for my mission.

Veera April 13, 2014 at 1:17 am

I appreciate that lay people may not realize the pitfalls of the antiangiogenic food theories as cancer preventive agents. The foods listed in the chart may have been studied in tissue cultures and even rats to prove their antiangiogenic properties, but please think hard about the effects you’d expect in humans, outside the laboratory. If something prevents the growth of new capillaries (that’s what antiantiogenesis is all about), it should also prevent physiological angiogenesis. As a consequence, women should stop menstruating and having babies, and everyone should have problems in wound healing. It is a question of sufficient amount and whether the effect is seen in humans at all. Remember thalidomide: it didn’t cause (antiangiogenic) harm in guinea-pigs but it did in humans. I challenge all women to eat nothing but antiangiogenic foods (corresponding to each one’s specific energy needs) for three months and then see if they stop menstruating.

Veera April 13, 2014 at 1:20 am

And Barb, whether foods contain VEGF protein doesn’t matter a bit. All proteins are split into amino acids when digested. Our tissues produce VEGF when the oxygen level at a certain place is too low. You can’t affect it by eating or avoiding something.